Discrimination, Harassment and Bullying

Are you experiencing discrimination, harassment or bullying in your workplace?

In Norway, all employees, which includes PhD researchers and Post-Docs, have the right to a workplace free of all forms of discrimination, bullying, harassment.

We in SiN know that despite this, discrimination, bullying, and harassment of early-career scholars does occur at Norwegian research institutions. Below you’ll find some helpful information about what to do if you experience this, along with resources to organizations and others who can give you any assistance you might require.

Working Environment Act / Arbeidsmiljøloven

The Norwegian Working Environment Act (Arbeidsmiljøloven) guarantees all employees in Norway a workplace free of any kind of discrimination, harassment, and bullying.

However, there is a set procedure which must be respected. All employers in Norway are required by law to have routines in place for employees to report issues. Always look into the routines and resources specific to your institution! 

In general, reporting should start at the lowest level. This means that before reporting externally, you should report any unwanted behavior internally to the immediate leadership at your department or university. Similarly, before you involve external actors like the news media, you should report to the Norwegian Labour Inspection Authority.

Remember: Employers are forbidden from retaliating against you for reporting a case to the Labour Inspection Authority!

First Steps

Internal Resolution at your Department

Your first step should always be to approach your immediate leadership and report the unwanted behavior to them. In most cases, they will be able to either ensure it stops, or help you with next steps. If you are a member of a labor union, you have the right to a union representative at a meeting with your department, if you so request it.

If your local leadership  does not resolve the situation to your satisfaction, you should move on to reporting it outside your department to your institution’s Ombudsman.


Norwegian law requires that any issues must first be reported internally. Most, if not all, universities and university colleges in Norway will have an Ombudsman (Vernombud). They can give you advice specific to your institution, and help you navigate your specific institutional bureaucracy. Ombudsmen are independent of faculty and must hold what you tell them in strict confidence.

Note: At some universities, PhDs can also contact the ombudsman responsible for students, usually called Studentombud. These have the same confidentiality requirements as ombudsmen, but their expertise is with student issues.

Tip: If you have trouble locating one, try searching “[your university] + vernombud” or “[your university] + studentombud”..

 Labor Unions

In addition to this, you can report this behavior to your labor union, if you are a member of one. Labor unions in Norway represent their members and can provide help and advice in difficult situations at the workplace.

If you choose to discuss your issues with your department or faculty administration, you have the right to have a union representative present if you’re a member of a labor union. Make sure to meet individually with the union representative beforehand to discuss your concerns and plans for the meeting.

Local Organizations

SiN is an umbrella organization composed of local organizations based at 11 universities and university colleges in Norway. Take a look at our membership list (ADD LINK TO MEMBERS) and contact your local organization for more general information about how things work at your university. While they may not be able to solve all issues, these organizations are made up of friendly and helpful PhDs and post-docs who have experience with your specific institution.

You are also free to contact us in SiN, but our resources are limited, and we are less familiar with procedures at each university. Regardless, if you contact us, we will do our best to help you.

Next Steps

Mental and Physical Health


If unwanted behavior at the workplace is causing you undue stress, make sure to report it to your GP (Fastlege). They can advise you on steps to take to maintain your health, and could give you sick leave if you both agree it could be beneficial. 

If you and your GP agree that a period of sick leave can be beneficial, you will receive an extension of your PhD contract for a minimum of 2 weeks. However, some institutions require a consecutive 2 week sick leave, whereas others require 2 cumulative weeks throughout the contract.Note: Sick leave in Norway is paid! Taking a sick leave will NOT cause issues for your work permit, extending your work permit, or with any applications for permanent residency!

Occupational Health Services

Many institutions also have Occupational Health Services (Bedriftshelsetjenester). In order to comply with the Working Environment Act (Arbeidsmiljøloven), you should also report mental or physical issues linked to stress to this service. They can also connect you with others who may be able to help. 

Note: Occupational Health Services can be a first point of contact, there is no requirement to contact your immediate supervisor first.

Mental Health Council /Rådet for psykisk helse

The Mental Health Council of Norway (Mental Health Council /Rådet for psykisk helse) can also provide you with advice, coping strategies, and further contacts in the case of mental health issues.





Further Reporting

Norwegian Labour Inspection Authority / Arbeidstilsynet

If your complaint is not resolved to your satisfaction at the university level, you can report your situation to the  Norwegian Labour Inspection Authority / Arbeidstilsynet, who is charged with upholding the Working Environment Act and investigating breaches. There is a specific section on Workplace Harassment.

Both your institution and your department can be reported for a breach of the Working Environment Act. The Labour Inspection Authority will conduct an investigation and if there is found to have been a breach of the law, or if anyone is found to have ignored a breach of the law, they may be sanctioned. If a breach is found, the Authority will also conduct follow-ups.

The Norwegian Labour Inspection Authority can be contacted for advice by email or phone at 73 19 97 00

Remember: Employers are forbidden from retaliating against you for reporting a case to the Labour Inspection Authority!

Equality and Discrimination Ombudsman / Likestillings- og diskrimineringsombudet

In specific cases of discrimination or discriminatory harassment or bullying (including sexual harassment), you can contact this external ombudsman, who can assist you in pursuing your case, or provide you support.

Legal Reporting

SiN does not offer legal advice, before reporting anyone to the police, seek legal advice from a lawyer or other qualified professional.

In severe cases, or when you feel that you might be in physical danger, it may also be possible to report harassment to the police (Politi).

Your labor union can often help you find a lawyer or provide one for you at no cost. Many universities with law schools also have free or low-cost legal services provided by students or young graduates. One example of an organization providing free legal services is Juss-Buss (Law Bus). This is run by law students at the University of Oslo and is available to anyone residing in Norway.

Extra Information

1.       Regardless of whether you’re experiencing bullying, harassment, or discrimination, remember that all of these, no matter what form they take, are illegal in Norway.

2.       If you’re having trouble finding resources online, try searching for Norwegian-language terms:

Bullying = Mobbing

Harassment = Trakassering

Sexual Harassment = Seksuell trakassering

Discrimination = Diskriminering

3.       If you have any evidence of the unwanted behavior, make sure to keep copies on your personal computer, and off of your institution’s servers. It’s always a good idea to keep an offline backup of your Teams or other chat messages, as well as your Outlook or other email client.

Diskriminering, trakassering og mobbing

Opplever du diskriminering, trakassering eller mobbing på arbeidsplassen?

Alle ansatte i Norge — også PhD-stipendiater og postdoktorer — har rett på en arbeidsplass fri for diskriminering, mobbing eller trakassering.

På tross av dette: Vi i SiN vet at det forekommer diskriminering, mobbing og trakassering av yngre forskere på norske forskningsinstitusjoner. Under finner du nyttig informasjon om hva du kan gjøre hvis dette er noe du har opplevd, sammen med tips om ressurser og støtteordninger du kan kontakte for å få hjelp.


Arbeidsmiljøloven verner alle ansatte i Norge mot diskriminering, trakassering og mobbing på arbeidsplassen.

Det finnes etablerte retningslinjer for hvordan ansatte bør gå fram for å varsle om kritikkverdige forhold. Alle arbeidsgivere i Norge plikter å utarbeide rutiner for intern varsling. Undersøk alltid hvilke rutiner og ressurser som finnes ved din institusjon!

Varslingen bør som hovedregel alltid starte på laveste nivå. Det betyr at du først bør varsle om uønskede hendelser eller forhold internt, altså til nærmeste leder ved institusjonen din. På samme måte bør du varsle Arbeidstilsynet før du kontakter eksterne aktører som media.

Husk: Det er forbudt for arbeidsgiveren din å komme med gjengjeldelser mot deg som varsler!

Første skritt

Intern løsning

Det første skrittet bør alltid være å kontakte din nærmeste, lokale leder ved arbeidsplassen, og varsle om uønskede hendelser til dem. Lederen din skal enten selv påse at situasjonen din bedres, eller hjelpe deg med å ta saken videre. Hvis du er medlem i en fagforening, har du rett til å ha en representant herfra med deg i møtet med ledelsen.


Hvis du ikke er fornøyd med hvordan den lokale ledelsen håndterer situasjonen, kan du varsle videre til verneombudet ved institusjonen din. Verneombudet skal påse at arbeidsplassen ivaretar ansattes sikkerhet, helse og velferd i tråd med Arbeidsmiljøloven. Verneombudet kan gi deg råd som er spesifikke for nettopp din arbeidsplass, og hjelpe deg å navigere det indre systemet ved institusjonen.

Tips: Hvis du ikke vet hvem som er verneombudet ditt, prøv å søke «[din institusjon] + verneombud».


I tillegg til dette kan du rapportere om uønsket atferd til din lokale fagforening, dersom du er medlem av en. Norske fagforeninger skal fremme interessene til sine medlemmer, og kan være behjelpelig med råd og hjelp i vanskelige situasjoner på arbeidsplassen.

Dersom du skal i møte med institutt- eller fakultetsadministrasjonen for å diskutere dine bekymringer, har du rett til å ha med deg en representant fra fagforeningen din. Diskuter dine utfordringer og planer for et slikt møte i forkant med fagforeningsrepresentanten.

Lokale interesseorganisasjoner 

SiN er en paraplyorganisasjon bestående av lokale organisasjoner ved 11 norske universitet og høgskoler. Sjekk listen over våre medlemmer her [link til medlemmer], og kontakt din lokale organisasjon for mer informasjon om hvordan rutinene for varsling om uønskede forhold er hos din institusjon. Til tross for at disse muligens ikke kan løse enhver utfordring, består de lokale organisasjonene av hjelpsomme stipendiater og post-docer som har spesifikk kunnskap om din arbeidsplass.

Du er også hjertelig velkommen til å kontakte oss i SiN, men vi har begrenset med ressurser og kunnskap om prosedyrene til hver enkel institusjon. Uavhengig av dette vil vi uansett gjøre vårt beste for å hjelpe deg.

Neste skritt

Psykisk og fysisk helse


Dersom uønsket atferd på arbeidsplassen gir deg unødig stress og ubehag, ta kontakt med din fastlege. Fastlegen gir deg råd om hva du bør gjøre videre for å ivareta helsen din, og kan også sykemelde deg dersom dette synes nødvendig.


Flere institusjoner har også knyttet seg til en bedriftshelsetjeneste. I overenstemmelse med arbeidsmiljøloven bør du også melde fra om psykiske eller fysiske plager forbundet med stress til bedriftshelsetjenesten. Bedriftshelsetjenesten har en uavhengig stilling i arbeidsmiljøspørsmål, og kan sette deg i kontakt med andre instanser som kan hjelpe deg i din situasjon.

Rådet for psykisk helse

Rådet for psykisk helse kan også gi deg råd, bidra med mestringsstrategier og henvise til videre hjelp i forbindelse med psykiske helseutfordringer. 

Videre varsling


Om dine henvendelser ikke blir løst tilfredsstillende internt på institusjonsnivå, kan du melde fra til Arbeidstilsynet. Arbeidstilsynet fører tilsyn med at virksomheter følger kravene etter arbeidsmiljøloven. Les mer om dette på Arbeidstilsynets sider under “Mobbing på arbeidsplassen”.

Både institusjonen og instituttet ditt kan rapporteres for brudd på arbeidsmiljøloven. Arbeidstilsynet vil da føre tilsyn, og dersom det avdekkes brudd på arbeidsmiljøloven, eller om enkeltpersoner beviselig har ignorert slike brudd kan de bli sanksjonert. Om det avdekkes brudd vil også Arbeidstilsynet gjennomføre oppfølgingstilsyn.

Arbeidstilsynet kan kontaktes for råd pr. e-post eller telefon 73 19 97 00.

Husk: Arbeidsgiver kan ikke gjengjelde at du varsler om kritikkverdige forhold til Arbeidstilsynet!

Likestillings- og diskrimineringsombudet

I saker vedrørende diskriminering eller diskriminerende trakassering eller mobbing  (inkludert seksuell trakassering) kan du kontakte likestillings- og diskrimineringsombudet for støtte og hjelp i din sak.


SiN tilbyr ikke juridisk rådgivning. Før du melder fra til politiet, bør du søke juridiske råd fra en advokat eller andre med juridisk kompetanse.

Ved alvorlige tilfeller, eller når du føler at du kan være i fysisk fare, meld fra til politiet.

Fagforeningen din kan ofte være behjelpelig med å finne eller henvise deg til advokat. Mange utdanningsinstitusjoner med jusutdanning tilbyr også gratis eller rimelige juridiske tjenester levert av studenter eller nyutdannede.

Ytterligere informasjon

1. Uavhengig av om du opplever mobbing, trakassering eller diskriminering, husk at alt dette uavhengig av styrke og form er ulovlig i Norge.
3. Dersom du har beviser på uønsket atferd, pass på å sikkerhetskopiere disse på din personlige PC, og ikke på arbeidsgivers servere. Det er alltid lurt å ha en offline sikkerhetskopi av din Teams chat-logg eller chatte-logger på andre chatte-tjenester, så vel som din Outlook-konto eller annen e-postklient.